IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!!!
…and it’s been awhile.
The last time I wrote anything on here was December 2017. Shameful, I know – I kinda have a reason.
In January 2018, I tore my right achilles, had it surgically repaired and I neglected my website (and a lot of other things as well).
As I turn 26, I reflected on my latest lap around the sun. What did I do right? What did I do wrong? What did I succeed at? What did I fail at? Where did I go? Most importantly, what did I learn?
Here are 25 things I learned at 25.
- Find the light – sometimes literally; most times, figuratively.
hat we see depends mainly on what we look for. What we hear depends on what we listen to. Where we are depends solely on where we go. So, find the light – it’ll make for a better picture
- Wear sunscreen every day, it makes your skin look and feel better.
- Nothing can heal what comparison kills, “other nations live with sickness, but over here we die from jealousy” – Jonathan McReynolds
- Listen to God the 1st time, otherwise, you’ll end up like Jonah and there’s an easier way to Ninevah than the belly of a whale. [read Jonah 1:12 – 2:10]
- Have intentional friendships, they’re worth it. Make time to talk to, care about, pray for and support your friends.
- Stop worrying – there’s no use in trying to figure out what’s going on in God’s head, when He’s called us to his feet. Know that the Creator is in control and worship Him anyway.
- To save time in the kitchen, pre-heat the oven & wash your veggies when you get back from the grocery store.
- Work Hard. My mother (or maybe it was my father) used to say, “what’s worth doing is worth doing well.” Apply that to everything, from tying your shoes to creating your business plan.
- Your parents miss you, call home more often.
- Not everyone is going to like you and that’s okay. Love them anyway.
- You don’t have to buy the shoes just because they’re on sale.
- Don’t ignore your feelings or emotions. You have a right to feel and you feel them for a reason. Talk about them, write about them, pray about them.
- Angels are real & toxic people exist too, identify the toxic in your life -don’t feel guilty about getting rid of them.
- Give yourself a break from work, people, social media, and reset.
- Don’t fall asleep with the TV on, it’ll wake you up in the middle of the night and your electric bill will be higher.
- You can do it alone. Take yourself to the movies, on a walk, to your favorite restaurant, or on a trip to the beach. You don’t have to wait for someone else to do it with you.
- Just because you’re alone doesn’t mean you’re lonely. Enjoy your own company, you are the one person you’ll HAVE to spend the rest of your life with.
- Not everything you lose is a loss. It may take time to see it, but the job you didn’t get, house you didn’t secure, boyfriend that broke up with you or earrings that went missing, may be a good thing.
- Life is short, tell the people you love that you love them, often. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, never leave love unsaid or unfelt.
- Show grace, to any and everyone.
- Forgive yourself.
- Save money, turn off the lights when you leave the room. My parents have been telling me this my whole life (I’m sorry), but I didn’t REALLY get it until I started paying bills in my own house.
- There’s no shame in asking for help. No one has ever gotten to the top alone and no one will look down on you when you ask for help.
- Doing nothing won’t make “it” go away & most times the “it” you’re so worried about, isn’t actually all that bad.
- You are not a burden to the people that love you and care about you.
Stick with me for 26! Something tells me it’s gonna be a wild year.
All My Love,